Three Ways Consulting
Technology Consulting & Advisory Services
The value I can add to your organisation is my experience in building products and teams. I can work with you to provide actionable solutions to the challenges faced by your organisation in product development, platform development, adopting practices, and scaling technology teams.
I have mostly worked with startups and growth-stage companies. While I can work with companies at any scale, I am more effective in understanding and helping startups scale their product and engineering. I have the relevant experience to claim that I know how and when things fail in startups and that I have some knowledge of what works in startups.
I have expertise in:
- Leadership - technology strategy, technical debt prioritisation, compliance, goal setting (OKRs), mentorship, vendor management, career development
- Skills - agile, DevOps, SRE, CI/CD, scalability, web development, microservices, cloud engineering, cloud cost optimisation, platform engineering, cloud-native development
I can help you:
- Discover bottlenecks and most pressing challenges in software delivery
- Architect your technology and organisation for innovation
- Build and execute a technology strategy aligned with your business goals
- Scale your technology organisation by setting up practices, processes and structures
- Take your MVP off the ground
- Coach your teams to adopt engineering practices (such as DevOps, SRE, etc.) and become a high-performing team
- Adopt microservices the right way or help deal with microservices hell
- Develop and execute an agile testing strategy
- Architect for compliance and regulatory requirements
- Build a strategy for open-source community engagement and contributions
I can work as a...
- Consulting/Fractional CTO - to support one or more teams and the company leadership over a period of time. This works well if you don't have the resources or time to hire a full time CTO right away.
- Technical Architect - to focus on a specific technical problem (some examples are product architecture, information security problems, cloud cost, microservices, etc.). This works well if you have a team but need someone experienced to work with them to solve tough technology business problems.
- DevOps Coach - a special type of engagement to coach engineering teams and leadership on architecture, engineering practices and culture. This works well to help a team struggling with moving fast and shipping high quality products.
- Technical Advisor - to support the leadership with strategy over a longer term. This is a low touch engagement and works well for companies that need domain or technical expertise for direction and strategy.
The kind of work I don’t engage in:
- Hands-on software development - I am a developer with fluency in multiple technology stacks. I can write software actively but I can add a lot more value to your organisation in other capacities. I can help your teams build things from time to time by helping them architect and write code if necessary, but I would not like to be a full-time developer building software for you.
- Staffing - I am not a contractor who can provide engineers on demand. That’s not something I do or intend to do. However, if we are working together, I can try my best to make introductions with people in my network who do that kind of work.